Founders of energy startups have strength in technical and commercial arenas—not legal and regulatory ones.
Startups have limited ability to pay cash for services. GAILLE PLLC utilizes alternative “success fee” structures that make legal fees contingent on the closing of capital raises and acquisitions. By doing so, GAILLE PLLC manages the risk that founders will incur legal costs for failed startups.
Startups need quality legal representation from day one. Before an energy company can produce its first barrel of oil, the team must negotiate several contracts, including (i) financing arrangements; (ii) asset acquisitions; and (iii) management’s sharing of equity. No matter how good a startup’s business plan, its success will depend on the quality of initial agreements.
GAILLE PLLC has extensive startup experience. Our founder was previously (i) General Counsel of an Eagle Ford shale startup that secured joint ventures with Hess Corporation and EOG Resources, (ii) President of a private equity-funded startup focused on African exploration and production, and (iii) co-founder of an asset manager startup that raised $400 million.
Startup capital providers demand legal expertise. Investors realize that startups often fail due to legal missteps. GAILLE PLLC helps to reassure investors that the startup will properly document its transactions and implement appropriate compliance programs.
Startup Representative Matters:
- General counsel to Eagle Ford shale startup that secured joint ventures with Hess Corporation and EOG Resources, $100 million of financing from a consortium led by Michael Dell’s family office, and an eventual listing on NASDAQ
- President of private equity-funded startup that secured $40 million of financing from Citadel Capital and acquired exploration block interests in Madagascar, Cameroon, and South Africa
- Co-Founder and General Counsel of asset management startup that raised more than $400 million of assets under management
- President of startup that acquired exploration block interest in Equatorial Guinea and conventional Texas producing wells
- Represented startup management team that secured $1 billion of private equity backing to acquire assets in the Eagle Ford
- Represented startup exploration and production fund in establishing a suite fund documents, including the fund operating agreement, fund subscription agreement, fund private placement memorandum, and management company LLC operating agreement
- Represented startup geological and geophysical services company in establishing its suite of agreements, including form agreements for various types of service offerings
- Represented startup exploration and production company focused on Kansas that secured private equity financing for lease acquisitions and a three-well program
- Represented startup exploration and production company focused on Colombia (South America)
- Represented startup timber company that acquired timber concessions in Cameroon
- Represented startup equity hedge fund
- Represented startup commodities trading fund
- Drafted suites of model agreements for start-up companies, including those related to employment and consulting relationships